Wednesday, April 19, 2017

National Park Service

What’s up everyone?
Sundown with Old Faithful

In honor of National Park Week, I thought that we would take a look at the National Park System or Service(NPS).  

With the signing of the Act of March 1, 1872.  Congress had establish the first designated park in the Montana and Wyoming territories known as Yellowstone National Park.  The park would be regulated by the Secretary of the Interior.  The founding of Yellowstone sparked a worldwide movement for preserving lands and establishing parks.  Currently 100 nations participate in a park program with over 1200 areas set aside for Parks and Preserves.

Delicate Arch
Over the following years more and more land were set aside for parks, monuments, and historical site.  Unfortunately, they were not all regulated by the Sec. of the Interior.  Some monuments and military sites were regulated by the War Department and the National Forest Service.  

August of 1916, President Woodrow Wilson signed an act that established the National Park Service.  They celebrated 100 years in 2016.  The NPS would be a new division of the Department of the Interior.  It would be tasked with protecting the then 35 National Parks and Monuments. It wouldn’t be until 1933, when an Executive Order was passed that transferred all military sites and monuments to the NPS.  Finally uniting all national lands under the banner of the NPS.

Grand Tetons
The United States National Park Service now consist of more than 400 protected areas made up of over 84 million acres.  These areas can be found in all 50 states, including D.C., American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, Saipan, and the Virgin Islands.

For most of my life, I grew up within a few hours drive from Utah’s Big Five (Zion, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, and Capital Reef) and not to mention the countless monuments and state parks.  In my younger years I never really appreciated what they had to offer.  At the time I thought we were just walking around for long periods of time looking at things that all looked the same.  As I got over I came to appreciate them more.

Over the years I have been able to visit 16 parks, monuments and historical sites.  Some I don’t remember very well, others I would have like to spend more time in, some I’ve visited multiple times, and some I may never get back to.  Throughout my adventures, I’ve come to the realization that every park, even though they may seem the same, has their own identity and beauty.  

Glacier NP
Whether you are a seasoned outdoorsmen or a new adventurer looking for something to explore, I highly recommend visiting our National Parks. They have something for everyone.  Sometimes they can be crowded, but you will not be disappointed in what you discover.  When you spend time out in nature you develop a bond with it and those you share it with.  You may even find something inside you that wasn’t there before.  At least, I know I have and I believe it will happen for you as well.

Now that we have moved to the Midwest, it gives a new place to roam and explore.  We have a lot of plans to visit the parks around us and excited to share them with you as we fulfill those plans.  Get out and explore.  You will not be disappointed.

Until next time.  Thanks for stopping by.


Josh




No comments:

Post a Comment