Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Easter Traditions

What’s up everyone?

With Easter just around the corner, thought turn to a fluffy bunny running around hiding decorated eggs and delivering baskets full of toys and candy.  But for my family, when we think about Easter we think about red rocks, beautiful vistas, and Jeeps.  I know. You think I’ve gone crazy.  What does any of that have to do with Easter?  Well, I’m talking about the annual Moab Easter Jeep Safari.

In 1967 in an attempt to bring in tourist, the Moab Chamber of Commerce held the first official Easter Jeep Safari.  On the Saturday before Easter, members of the Chamber lead tourist into the backcountry for fun and adventure.  Behind the Rocks was the first tail followed by the now infamous Moab Rim the following year.  In the early days they offered an ice cream package.  During lunch time, local pilots would drop frozen treats to the people below.  It would be nice if they still offered this.  Some of those days are scorchers.  I know I wouldn’t complain to have something to cool me off.

It was ran this way until 1982 when BLM regulations required permits and insurance.  The Chamber found themselves unable to sustain the Safari.  The Chamber turned to the a recently formed club for help.  The Red Rock 4-Wheeler agreed to take over the event in the early months of 1983.  Since then the event has blossomed into what it is today.

The Easter Jeeps Safari is a nine day event that, as the name implies, takes place over the week of Easter in the eclectic town of Moab Utah.  Moab has become a Mecca for off-road enthusiast.  Every year thousands of people from around the globe participate in the event.

For us it has truly become a family affair.  My grandparents moved down to Moab after deciding that they need a change of pace.  With each trip down to visit, we became more intrigued with the Jeep culture.  We participated in our first Safari in 1989 and we have been hooked ever since.  Over the years our ragtag group would continue to grow.  We started with close friends joining our ranks, but it would eventually include my brothers and my own in-laws.  At current count there is about 12 Jeeps (give or take a few) in our crew and still growing.  Not all of us are together at the same time though.  We have a core group of 5 vehicles (well 4 now that I’m currently in Chicagoland) and the others join us if and when they can.

The excitement for Moab starts months before the events.  We pull out our vehicles and make sure that they ready and willing.  If we need to make any improvements or repairs this gives us plenty of time to do it.  We usually have one planning meeting with everyone so that we can decide on what everyone wants to do.  We typically plan on doing 2 to 3 trails leaving the rest of the time to do whatever we want.  There is plenty to see and do in the area and sometimes its nice to have leisure time back at camp.
It seems like the biggest decisions that we have to make during our meetings is about meal plans.  Usually breakfast and lunches is up to the individuals of the group.  We truly shine when we have dinner.  To be honest it seems like we have the best meals when we are out camping.  Barbecued meats and dutch oven meals are usually on menu, but we always like to mix it up by adding something interesting.

We all make our way down to camp.  If able we travel together, but life has its way of interfering and sometimes forces us to make adjustments.  I can recall a time that I had to work until 10 at night and I was registered for a trail the next morning.  I really didn't want to miss the trail, but it would not have been a good I deal to head out that late of hour.  What I should have done and what I did was two different things.  What I should have done was head out when I woke up and missed the trail.  But whats the fun in that?  I set my alarm for 2:30 in the morning, was on the road by 3, and made it to camp with plenty of time to spare.  My parents weren't too thrilled by this decision but were happy to see there.

Once camp is set up and vehicle are unloaded, thats when the fun begins.  Everyday is a different adventure.  We continue to challenge ourselves on every obstacle we attempts.  Unfortunately some reach their breaking point and in this case its literal.  At some point everyone eventually breaks something on their vehicles.  In the worst cases, they go ass-over-teacup and roll their vehicles.  I’ve had some close calls in my time but nothing to serious.  I can’t say that about other in our group but we all have our bad days.

Nights are for us to gather around and enjoy good food and quality time with each other.  Conversations usually turn to days events and plans for the next day.  To be honest some of us are getting a little older and its nice to sit there and recoup from the beating that your body take from the day.

Of course we don’t ignore the holiday.  On Easter Sunday we wake up and enjoy a good breakfast.  One of the few times that we all get together for breakfast.  And watch as the young one run around camp finding the treats the fluffy bunny left them the night before.  I realize I should specify.  Toys and candy not the other bunny “treats”, if you know what mean.

The Easter Jeep Safari, and Moab in general, has become one of my favorite places to be.  There is something magical about it.  Its almost primordial.  Moab is a “Chose Your Own Adventure Book”.  With hundreds or maybe thousands of miles of backcountry roads and several National and State Parks to explore.  You are bound to find something within yourself that you did know was there.  I have been doing this for nearly thirty years now.  I still haven't seen everything that Moab has to offer.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our Easter tradition.  We hope that you enjoy your Easter traditions and continue to share them with your families for years to come.

Until next time, wishing you a Happy Easter.


Josh and Erin





No comments:

Post a Comment