Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Starved Rock's Fall Colors

What’s up everyone?

Yes, it’s that time of year again.  There is a slight chill in the air out here in Chicagoland, much like many places.  The leaves are changing to vibrant yellows, oranges and reds.  And my lovely wife out of town for the weekend and leaving me to my own devices.  What is a guy like me to do?  Run to Bass Pro Shop and dream about cool stuff I would like to have.  Yea, I could do that.  I could stay home and have a movie marathon or maybe jam out on some video games.  Thats a likely option.  So many possibilities, what so I do?

Even though sitting at home would have been wonderful.  I decided that I should at least get out into the wild one last time, before it gets too cold and that infamous white stuff starts to fall.  Snow that is.  Like many people in the fall, I figured that I would checkout those vibrant fall colors that I had mentioned earlier.  Early Saturday morning I packed up some supplies and headed down the road to Starved Rock State Park.  Funny enough, this was not the first time that I attempted to see the fall colors.  In fact, it became the subject of my first Adventure Dairies post.  The results were quite different.  Last year a fog had rolled in the night before and did not lift until the following afternoon.  It muted the colors and made for a different hiking experience.

I have talked about Starved Rock before, but in case you have not read them or seen anything on it.  I’ll give you a little background.  Starved Rock State Park is one Illinois’s pristine State Parks that can be found on the banks of the Illinois River.  Its about a hour and a half drive from Chicago.  Depending on traffic, that is.

The Park gets it name from a sandstone butte that overlooks the river, which is known as Starved Rock.  There are several theories on how the rock received its name.  The widely excepted theory goes as this.  In 1760’s a tribal council of Native Americans was called.  In attendance was the the leader of the Ottawa tribe, Chief Pontiac.  As well as the leader of the Illinois tribe, Kinebo.  I’m not sure what spurred it on, but Kinebo end up stabbing Chief Pontiac to death.  Of course, this infuriated Pontiac’s followers.  Blood shed fell upon both tribes as battle raged between them.  The Illinois started to fear death and fled the area.  The Ottawa were relentless in their pursuit.  They eventually caught up to the Illinois and laid siege to their encampment upon the rock.  Unable to get food, the Illinois started to starve to death.  Hence the name Starved Rock.

Now a days Starved Rock has been voted Illinois #1 attraction with over 2 million annual visitors.  Those that come to Starved Rock enjoy the many hiking trails that lead you through forests and canyons.  Not into hiking.  Well, since the park lies on the bank of the Illinois River you can fish, canoe, or kayak.

I suggest starting at the visitor center.  Its not as big as some of the others that I have been in, but it has some good information about the area.  It also has a couple of small shop where you can pick up some trinkets, food stuff, and drinks.  If you talk with the ranges, they can suggest the best hikes for you.

Starved Rock consist of 18 canyons scattered about their trails.  They are not quite the canyons that I’m used to.  Being from the West, we tend to have mountains with large canyons that pass between the ranges.  I’m not trying to take anything away from here.  They are still spectacular to see.  On my pursuit to see the fall colors, I decide to explore the some of the canyons I hadn’t seen yet.  I have heard from the locals that St. Louis Canyon was one of the canyons that you had to see.  So that where I decided to start.  Now be warned, if you start this hike from the Visitor’s Center you will have to traverse a good set of stairs before you even reach the trailhead.  These stupid stairs reminded me that I’m not in as good of shape as I would like to be in.  Not saying I’m that bad, but something I need to work on.  Once up the stairs you pass by the lodge on your way to the trail.  The trail is very scenic.  Large stretches of forested paths and views of three canyons: Sac, Aurora, and Kickapoo.  Of course, the true awe inspiring moment is when I enter into St Louis Canyon.  As I followed the trail the sandstone walls start to climb around you and curve towards a hidden corner.  And there it is, at the end of the canyon sits a beautiful little waterfall.  Like I had mention, I like to get to place early.  In doing this I virtually had the canyon to myself, not to say I was completely alone though.  I found me a nice rock to sit on and just sat there and took it all in.  To me, one of the most soothing sounds is running water and nothing beats the serenity that you get from a waterfall in the wild.
After awhile I made my way back to the Visitor’s Center.  I wasn’t quite ready to head back home yet, so figured I would walk around the top of Starved Rock and see if I could get a birds I view of the leaves.  From here I took a moment to watch the boaters float on the river.  The view from the top was great as I could start to see patches of color bleeding through the green of the trees.  To be honest, I was surprised that more of the leaves hadn’t changed yet.  It wasn’t until I dropped down by the river that the colors really popped.  I don’t know if I had got there at the right time or what, but the light had hit this section of trees just right.  I had finally found the fall colors that I had been searching for.  All the colors were shining brightly, I know my pictures won’t give it justice.  Satisfied with my little excursion I made my way back to by to my car.  Through my pack into the trunk and jump behind the wheel.  I took a brief moment to reflect on the day.  I would have taken longer but somebody was little to eager to take my parking spot.

Adventures don’t have to be some grand scheme.  Some of the best trips I have been on have been impromptu and unplanned.  Take a minute to enjoy the little things that you come upon.

Until next time.  Thanks for stopping by.


Josh




No comments:

Post a Comment